I’m Michael Barz from Saarland (Germany), researcher and PhD candidate in the field of intelligent multimodal interfaces at the German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI). Below, you can find my resume. Further information about me and my activities can be found in the publications overview, in recent blog posts and in social networks.
- LEIBNIZ-GYMNASIUM, ST. INGBERT, UNIVERSITY-ENTRANCE DIPLOMA
08.2001 – 06.2009
- UNIVERSITY OF HAGEN, CORRESPONDANCE COURSE
10.2009 – 03.2010
During my civilian service I heard the correspondence course “introduction to economics” in order to use it for my minor subject at Saarland University.
- SAARLAND UNIVERSITY, SAARBRÜCKEN, BACHELOR COMPUTER SCIENCE
04.2010 – 09.2013
I completed my bachelor degree within 7 semesters. The topic of my work was “Smartphone to Smartphone Payment via Near Field Communication” supervised by Prof. Antonio Krüger, DFKI. In addition to the theoretical part, I implemented my system at the Innovative Retail Laboratory in St. Wendel.
- SAARLAND UNIVERSITY, SAARBRÜCKEN, MASTER COMPUTER SCIENCE
10.2013 – 09.2015
I obtained my master degree after 4 additional semesters. My thesis was about “Computational Modeling and Prediction of Gaze Estimation Error for Head-mounted Eye Trackers” supervised by Prof. Antonio Krüger, DFKI.
- CIVILLIAN SERVICE, DISTRICT HOSPITAL ST. INGBERT
07.2009 – 03.2010
My main resort was Human Resource Management. Moreover I was involved in the project „new intranet“, for what I developed a document management system.
- TEMPORARY EMPLOYMENT, DISTRICT HOSPITAL ST. INGBERT
04.2010 – 05.2010
I was hired to finish the project „new intranet“.
- FREELANCE SOFTWARE ENGINEER AND CONSULTANT,
UNIVERSITY OF THE FEDERAL EMPLOYMENT AGENCY MANNHEIM
I support the pan-European project “PraeLab”, for what I am responsible for maintenance and the transfer of their questionnaire “smk” to the open-source platform “Limesurvey”. Additionally I contributed to further research projects as technical consultant, namely BET-U25, PrevDrop, the nationwide realization of “smk” by the Federal Employment Agency and for a study on education supervised by the Metropolregion Rhein-Neckar GmbH.
- STUDENT ASSISTANT, GERMAN RESEARCH CENTER FOR ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
05.2012 – 09.2012
I was involved in the evaluation of the mobile App “Kasse2Go” and in research concerning mobile payment at the Innovative Retail Laboratory.
- STUDENT ASSISTANT, SAARLAND UNIVERSITY
11.2012 – 03.2013
In winter term 2012/2013 I acted as tutor for the course “basics in media-informatics”.
- STUDENT ASSISTANT, abat+ GmbH
03.2014 – 12.2014
Participating in development of a mobile client for PLUS – a high-availability solution for production control and planning as well as quality management for the automotive industry.
- STUDENT ASSISTANT, SAARLAND UNIVERSITY
04.2014 – 09.2014
In summer term 2014 I acted as tutor for the course “user interface design”.
- FREELANCE SOFTWARE ENGINEER, PUPIL LABS UG (HAFTUNGSBESCHRÄNKT)
10.2014 – 03.2016
At Pupil Labs I work on an open source mobile eye tracking platform.
- RESEARCHER, DFKI
I started a position as researcher as part of the intelligent user interface group. Key aspects of my work include multimodal interaction techniques and machine learning.
- Intelligent User Interfaces. Assistant to Dr. Daniel Sonntag at TU Kaiserslautern [winter term 2015/16]
- Artificial Intelligence. Assistant to Prof. Wolfgang Wahlster at Saarland University [summer term 2018]
- MICROSOFT CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL (MCP)
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 – Application Development Foundation.
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT – WORKING IN PROJECTS
I participated at the advanced training offered by the University of the Federal Employment Agency, Mannheim.
- MACHINE LEARNING BY STANFORD UNIVERSITY ON COURSERA
- We received the Best Paper Award at ETRA 2018 for our paper:
Error-Aware Gaze-Based Interfaces for Robust Mobile Gaze Interaction. In: Proceedings of the 2018 ACM Symposium on Eye Tracking Research & Applications, pp. 24:1–24:10, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2018, ISBN: 978-1-4503-5706-7, (Best Paper Award).